Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Christlike Love is For Everyone!

I recently had a wonderfully uplifting experience as I was searching my heart for answers to what specific direction I should take in my life.  I wrote in my study journal the following entry:

For mission prep, we have to read the assigned sections from True to the Faith about love.  I enjoyed the part that reads, "Our love for those around us increases when we remember that we are children of God- that we are spirit brothers and sisters.  The love that results from this realization has the power to transcend all boundaries of nation, creed and color." Not only are we commanded to love God, we are commanded to love one another.  There is a power that comes with loving our fellow man. As a member of the church, we may not get along all the time, but we still love each other as spirit brothers and sisters. Love comes in many forms: service to a thoughtful gesture to even a friendly smile. The most famous representations of love is the Atonement of Jesus Christ. This is where Jesus suffered the pains and sorrows of spiritual and physical deaths. So that as we repent of our sins and use the Atonement, we can have the opportunity to live eternally in the presence of Heavenly Father. 1 Nephi 10:21, "..and no unclean thing can dwell with God.." Christ set the standard of ultimate love with the Atonement, but also did many things during his earthly ministry to show his love. My favorite example of this is found in 3 Nephi 17. It is about Christ healing the people and the little children. Every time I search this scripture- I can't make it through without crying my eyes out. Christ loves the people of Nephi enough to visit them, to teach them, to serve them- to love them! This profound example of love moves me in an indescribable way. I find that in myself that I want to love people like Christ does. I want to serve the people of Nampa because I love them (already!) Likewise, I want to become a nurse because I love helping people.  I want to show Christ by loving/serving/helping others. I want to love my family with as much as I can give them. This great commandment of love is not a burden, it's an eternal delight that benefits everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment